Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Check


  • Take Shower
  • Brush teeth
  • make breakfast
  • go to the store
  • clean house
  • laundry
  • doctor appt.
  • lunch
  • watch tv show
  • date night
  • bed time
  • etc, etc, etc.
I don't know about you, but I have some sort of list going on for my day. Weather it's a list on a piece of paper or a list in my head. I am constantly thinking of the things that I need to do or want to do throughout the day.

My boys and I have Bible time in the mornings before we begin with homeschool. We've been learning on being attentive and the passage we read one morning was Luke 10:38-42. We found the story of the most famous and well known Martha and Mary.

As I read this story I was reminded of all of my distraction and complaining I do on a daily basis. In the story I could see myself as Martha ,I'm sure you have as well at some point.
It says:
 38Now as they were traveling along, He entered a village; and a woman named Martha welcomed Him into her home.  39She had a sister called Mary, who was seated at the Lord's feet, listening to His word.
40But Martha was distracted with all her preparations; and she came up to Him and said, "Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to do all the serving alone? Then tell her to help me."  41But the Lord answered and said to her, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and bothered about so many things; 42but only one thing is necessary, for Mary has chosen the good part, which shall not be taken away from her."

I know that the Lord knows our hearts and our intentions. But sometimes although our intentions seem good to us, they are not the most important ones to the Lord at the moment. Martha was busy with all the preparations. Just like we are to begin our day and get going. We begin to complain because of our busyness, that we cannot handle, but over book our days with unnecessary things, anyway. Then by the end of the day we have a checked list and feel like we have accomplished so much and we give ourselves a pat on the back. But in reality we have neglected the most important thing to begin and end our day that didn't make it into our busy schedule. It is the end of the day and we are tired and worn out, so off to bed we go.
The Lord says in verse 42 that only one thing is necessary and Mary has chosen the good part and it shall not be take away from her.  So why do we feel, like we should do the same.We need the gospel daily! Let's make time for the one necessary thing that keeps us going, the one thing that changes us and transforms us. Time with the Lord, don't just check it off, let's be intentional about spending time with our Saviour.
When we begin our day with the Lord all else will fall into place, according to His will.


~Karla

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails